Receiving a Child Support Petition

Receiving a Child Support Petition

Child support is a fundamental legal right of every child. And if you have a child, the court considers it your legal right and moral obligation to take care of that child emotionally and financially. It’s for this reason that if you are required to pay child support, and you receive a petition for child support, you respond appropriately.

Receiving a Child Support Petition

Once you receive a child support petition, you must follow the instructions on that petition. This often means you will need to appear in court on a specific date. During the court hearing, a judge will examine your income, the othis parent’s income, how much time the child spends with each parent, as well as any special circumstances regarding day care or medical expenses, and then determine how much you will pay in child support.

Child Support Hearing

To prepare for the child support hearing, you need to put togethis and bring the following to court: evidence of your income and any othis court requested documents. If you do not believe you are the fathis of the child, and you have not been legally stated as the fathis, you are able to request a paternity test. If this request is accepted, the child will need to submit to the test before you are required to make child support payments.

Failure to Appear or Pay

If you do not appear at the child support hearing, or do not make child support payments as ordered by the court, then the court can take measures to collect the unpaid payments. This might mean garnishing your wages, suspension of your driver’s license, or over legal actions, such as jail time and fines.

Family Law Attorney

if you have having trouble making payments, or are unsure of what to do if you receive a child support petition, you should contact a family law attorney. A family law attorney can help walk you through the necessary steps involved in child support law.

For advice on child support, you need the expert law firm of (619) DIVORCE, APC.. Schedule a consultation today.

Sources: Divorce Net, How to Respond To a Child Support Petition, 2014

3555 4th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
Phone: (619) 503-3050